Friday, August 19, 2011

SHERYL CROW on MICHAEL


February 23rd, 1988

Crow has only respect for Jackson s ability. ''He is an unbelievable entertainer,'' she said. ''He is so magnetic, you can't even take your eyes off him when he's performing. He's such a great dancer. I've seen his moves night after night after night, but every time I watch them it's like I've never seen them before. It's really amazing. And he's completely professional, '' Crow said. '' He's a perfectionist. He hears every little detail. If he doesn't hear a keyboard part in the middle of a tune, he immediately calls it. He knows if you're singing under pitch. He's so perceptive. He's completely tuned-in at all times.'' Jackson the perfectionist reportedly spent Monday night at Kemper Arena rehearsing and checking sound levels for the shows. The up-and-coming vocalist doesn't have much contact with Jackson outside of work.

That is basically because he's so busy, she said. He takes up a lot of time to visit children's hospitals and schools. He does a lot of photo shoots. He's working on videos at all times. He's been a major star since he was 4 or 5 years old. At times I want to shake him and say, Gosh, let s go get a hamburger! He's never had a normal life like I've had. He's always been a star. He's always been surrounded by people. But he is a normal person. When I first met him, I had heard lots of things. He's got a good personality and he s very intelligent. He s quite normal. He's a joy to work with.''



http://articles.latimes.com/1993-11-21/entertainment/ca-59118_1_she...
Nov 21, 1993"I think for the longest time it was very difficult for anybody to listen to my stuff and not think, 'Well, she sings backup with Michael, into the trash can,' or 'She's a backup singer, she's a chameleon.' It certainly has not helped me in the credibility area."

Jan 15, 1995

''I lived in fear on that tour'' she recalls her fresh out of the Midwest insecurity compounded by the Jackson entourage's strangeness and secrecy. But the aftermath was harder still on her psyche.

''I came off that tour and I had huge huge amounts of press and I had songs of my own and nobody wanted to sign me on those songs. Because it was like ''Wait, she toured with Michael Jackson. Everything's set up for her to be a pop singer like a Paula Abdul'' but that wasnt what I wanted to do .
They all said blue-eyed soul wasn't happening, this was before Bonnie Raitt, And I let all my options go out the window and within a couple of months I went from having this notoriety and exposure to just being nothing. I mean nobody cared .


VH1-Behind The Music, 2002
Quote:
''This particular story was about me ,an highschool teacher, that I had a relationship with him and that he was paying me 2 million dollars to have his baby. And actually it was kinda funny because, at the time, I was thinking ''Wow, 2 million dollars...I might have done it! (laugh)''





http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/archive/201009/20100909_crow.ht...

Tavis Smiley . Shows . Sheryl Crow . September 9, 2010 | PBS

Quote:
Crow: We watched the variety shows, and a lot of us kids thought that when we grew up we wanted to have our own TV show, thinking that you're never going to leave your family, you're always going to stay young, and we saw them as being the example of what family was.

Then years later he was the first person to really give me my first gig. But more than that, I'm lucky that I got to stand on the side of the stage and watch him define to me what divinity is. I think inspiration is something that we can't put a definition on it, we can't understand where it comes from. The only thing we can understand is that when we get out of our own way, that's when the best of us is released, and we can look at it and go, "I don't know how I created that, but here it is."

There was something very special about him. I miss knowing that he's on the planet and that he's going to make more music. There was something that just felt right about him, even in the years of scrutiny and speculation. There was something in him that we all could relate to and that made us believe in something.

Tavis: I thought a second ago to ask one question, and I want to actually ask, I think, the inverse. What I wanted to ask, what I thought to ask, was the pretty typical question of what it is that you learn from watching a genius like Michael at work. He was the greatest entertainer of our time, maybe of all time. What's it like being able to watch this guy work from the side of the stage and on stage with him?

I could ask that, but I want to ask, I think, instead, when you're working with that level of genius, when you're working with the entertainer of all entertainers, what is it in you that says, "I can do this, I can headline my own show?" I guess my point is it can be inspiring on the one hand, but it can also be intimidating.

Crow: And it was. It was. Really, midway through the tour, I think I didn't really understand the magnitude of it until a few months in, and then I realized this is heavy and it started to work against me and I lost a lot of confidence. I look at it now and think gosh, I wish I could go back and I wish I could be who I am now, knowing what I know, and step into that. But that's not the way those things are structured for you to learn.

Tavis: When you say you lost confidence, though, Sheryl, what do you mean by that?

Crow: As soon as you get - and I know it now, but as soon as you enter the public eye there are going to be a multitude of people who, out of jealousy or whatever, or just straight up dislike, are going to criticize you. What you learn is you learn to ignore it or not read into it or whatever, but at that early time I didn't understand that that's just the way that works, and the politics that go along with it, of having such a high position.

But I think ultimately for me the learning curve and the growth came out of not just watching the brilliance of what he could do and how it was perfect every night and how he was involved in the production and the choreography and everything else, but it was in witnessing how people - how he could be present for the people.

Now that I'm touring, I don't think you can ever understand that until you're standing in front of an audience and you can see their eyes and make a connection that is a real connection, and he - there are very few artists that I feel like are really, when they step out they are there for the people, they're not just there because they do a really good job with it.

He was different that way. I think he was uncomfortable in every area of his life except for that area
,

http://www.lvrj.com/neon/going-on-record-102608989.html

When I saw the movie, 'This Is It,' I saw the guy I worked with -- the guy who's very present and way involved in the production of his tour and the arrangements and the choreography. I didn't see a guy that was struggling with a very bad drug addiction."
Yet, she says, his death somehow shocked her, as well as saddened her.
"But what I cherish are the memories of what I have of him onstage, and just how divinely brilliant he was.
"He had something nobody else had. And that's probably why so many people strived to suck the life out of him."


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...