Saturday, August 20, 2011

Man In The Mirror: Michael Jackson, Introduction by Brooke Shields


In February 1984, Michael called me about a week before the Grammys to ask me if I'd go with him. Although it wasn't much time, a week was actually longer than he'd usually give me to get ready for one of our outings. He told me he really wanted me to be with him, and that Emmanuel Lewis would probably also be with us. That was also not unusual because the three of us often did things as a team: the odd-but to us perfectly normal-version of the Three Musketeers. We were all quite famous and had been working basically our entire lives. Emmanuel was much younger and we called him 'Rubba'' because he had this adorable face with chubby cheeks, and he could make funny faces and move like he was made of rubber. We would all laugh so much our sides would hurt. I think
Michael and I simply appreciated the freedom we felt when we were together. We could laugh, act silly, and not have to be the professional adults we were normally expected to be.




I think Michael wanted me with him at this particular Grammys because of how groundbreaking Thriller was, and how huge it was for his career. I believe he felt safe with me around, and he knew I never wanted anything from him and that I would take care of him. Events like the Grammys can be daunting for anybody, especially somebody nominated for over seven awards. He knew I was familiar with the spectacle that accompanies such events and that I would not get star-struck or lose sight of him in any way.

I'm not sure if he thought he was going to win as many awards as he did. When I said congratulations on the numerous nominations, he just kept saying ''It's crazy isn't it?!'' I joked with him that he probably would have gotten even more nominations if he had put me in the video instead of the girl he chose. He just got this mischievious smile on his face that I had seen so many times before and said,''Oh Brooke!''


Michael seemed to take all of it in stride. That evening he just kept getting up to accept another honor. He had such humility and grace, and although he was almost maniacally ambitious and perfectionist, he never gloated about his success. He would just look ahead and try to find ways in which he could be even better. He wanted to be the best at everything, including being a friend. Nothing was ever about ego. It was about his heart and how that motivated him. Even getting eight awards seemed to just make him more humble.

Anyway, he asked me and, as usual, I said I'd be glad to join him and help in any way I could, I promised we could would have fun no matter what. On Grammy night I found a fancy Mary McFadden dress in my closet that I had been given as a gift, I did my own hair and makeup, and waited for the bell to ring. The car arrived and we were on our way. Michael had a way of making you want to care for him. Hopefully that is what I did that Grammy night.


ACUM

COMPARATI

CE SCRIE SUS

CU CE SPUNE MIKE IN CASETELE RABINULUI.INTRODUCEREA LA ACEASTA CARTE A FOST FACUTA DUPA  CE AU FOST INREGISTRATE CASETELE:

MJ: Brooke Shields asked me out every time you saw us out together. It was her idea to go out and do it every time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...