Thursday, August 18, 2011

MJ Loved MK

Add Mortal Kombat to the video games Michael Jackson was into.
The recollections of the recently-deceased pop star continue to make the rounds in the media. And video games have gotten another mention, even though we weren't asking this time.

Author Paul Theroux recalls in today's U.K. Telegraph a phone call the writer had with Jackson that turned to the topic of dealing with the aftermath of the rush of performing on stage:

Jackson: "It makes people do strange things. A lot of our famous luminaries become intoxicated because of it - they can't handle it. And your adrenaline is at the zenith of the universe after a concert - you can't sleep. It's maybe two in the morning and you're wide awake. After coming off stage, you're floating.''

Theroux: "How do you handle that?''

"I watch cartoons. I love cartoons. I play video games. Sometimes I read.''

"You mean you read books?''

"Yeah. I love to read short stories and everything.''

"Any in particular?''

"Somerset Maugham,'' he said quickly, and then, pausing at each name: "Whitman. Hemingway. Twain.''

"What about those video games?''

"I love X-Man. Pinball. Jurassic Park. The martial arts ones - Mortal Kombat.''

"I played some of the video games at Neverland,'' I said. "There was an amazing one called Beast Buster.''

"Oh, yeah, that's great. I pick each game. That one's maybe too violent, though. I usually take some with me on tour.''

"How do you manage that? The video game machines are pretty big, aren't they?''

"Oh, we travel with two cargo planes.''

Jackson was a gamer, no doubt. Anyone remember Beast Buster? I missed that one.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...